Monday, January 19, 2009

Face Wash

I had a reader ask if I could recommend a daily face wash. Any time I visit the face wash aisle at the drugstore, Target, or even department stores, I find myself overwhelmed at all of the options. But, being the sucker that I am, I have tried nearly all of them.
An important thing to remember about face wash is that their are 98373987 different options because there are 9387439 different types of skin. The product your neighbor raves about may be a product that you can't stand. It is also important to realize that a product that works for you in the Summer may be too drying in the Winter. And a product that you love in the Winter may be too oily in the Summer. Pay attention to your skin, and change your regimen accordingly. While I am by no means a skincare expert, I can give you my honest, unbiased opinion on which face washes I like the best. Here are my top picks:

For Normal to Oily Skin:

Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

I like this face wash simply because of how clean my skin feels after using it. Plus, since it is an Alpha Hydrox product, it gently exfoliates every time you use it. And I love love love exfoliation. *Just remember to wear your sunscreen. Every. day.


Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser

I enjoy this cleanser because it gets my skin clean without over drying. I tend to use this cleanser more in the Summer months when my skin is a little more oily.

For Dry skin:

Olay Daily Facials: Hydrating
I'm a fan of all of Olay's cleansing cloths. (The ones for normal and oily skin are great too). I like that the cloth is double-sided, making cleansing and exfoliation a breeze. The only down side to the cloths is that I tend to go through them much faster than I do a normal cleanser.



Clinique Comforting Cream Cleanser
This cream cleanser feels wonderful going on and is extra gentle. I also like that you can rinse it off with water, or tissue it off. The only downside to cream cleansers is that they oftentimes don't get your skin as clean as gel cleansers do, especially if you wear makeup. However, this one is much better than most.

For Acne-prone Skin:

I'm not a fan of harsh salicilic acid or benzoyl peroxide face washes. Since acne is nothing more than an irritation of the skin, I don't like the idea of scrubbing it with harsh chemicals. It's more about keeping your skin clean and bringing fresh cells to the surface, not simply drying out your skin. So, instead, I recommend either of the face washes that I listed for normal to oily skin paired with a gentle exfoliating cream such as Clinique Turnaround Cream.
I've raved about Clinique Turnaround Cream before, but let me reiterate how wonderful this product is. While it is a little expensive, it is always always always money well spent. The great thing about the Turnaround Cream is that ALL skin types can benefit from it. It is wonderful for anti-aging, it is wonderful for brightening skin, it is wonderful for evening skin tone, for diminishing discolorations, and yes, it is wonderful for acne. Each time you use it (I use it both morning and night), you are exfoliating and bringing fresh cells to the surface. What does that mean for acne? It means that day after day all of the gunk that you have built up in the depths of your skin are slowly making their way to the surface. All while brightening your skin, evening its tone, and healing acne. I guess you could say I am a Turnaround Cream advocate. I love love love this product.



You also have the option to use the Turnaround 5 Minute Facial which, when used twice a week with your regular turnaround cream, speeds up the process of exfoliation. I highly recommend this product as well.



But, back to cleansing,
to see just how clean your cleanser is getting your skin, try going over it with a toner after you wash. If your cotton swab is left with any residue or dirt, your cleanser is not working like it should. Make sure you use an alcohol-free toner so you don't over dry your skin. I recommend Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner. I use it after I wash everyday.


I hope this was helpful.
I would love to hear from you! What are your favorite facial cleansers or products?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

oh thank you thank you! you are fabulous!

and i have that toner and love it so now i will go through what you just wrote again and figure out what wash works best for me- maybe ill stick with the neutrogena option since i use the toner and it seems like a good option for my skin in this humid hawaiian climate. plus i am pregnant and i tend to break out a bunch here and there throughout my pregnancies (this is baby no.2).

this was so very helpful! and i feel as though i must try that clinique product that you raved about as well. im excited - thank you!