Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas

Last year my family had a pretty humble Christmas. It was lovely. I did mostly homemade gifts, which went over very well with family and friends. For me, handmade gifts and homemade goodies really capture the spirit of Christmas. This year my family decided to keep to that tradition, allowing everyone to save some money, relax, get creative, and focus on what is really important: family, friends, laughter and love.
We always have plenty of that.

photo: marthastewart.com


Last night I put the electric candles in the window. They make our house twinkle from the road. I put on my Christmas-y scarf. I painted my nails red. I went to Mom and Dad's and had hot cocoa by the fire.


Now I'm ready to hang the garland, the lights, to start my shopping, my baking, my fun holiday crafts. I'm ready to put up our little pint-sized tree. To listen to Christmas music while I drive from store to store. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is my fave. I'm looking forward to receiving smiles from strangers on the street, to throwing change into the Salvation Army tin next to the nice fellow with the bell. Jingle. Jangle. Jingle. Jangle.
I'm looking forward to exchanging Merry Christmases with the bank teller, the cashier, and the nice post lady that always brings our boxes to our door. I'm looking forward to watching my nieces' faces light up as they open each beautifully packaged surprise. I'm looking forward to the smell of cookies and pine and warm gingerbread men. To cuddling up close with the people I love in new pajamas and socks.

What are you looking forward to most this year?

No comments: